Mallam Adamu Adamu, the minister of education, says all teachers and their employers in the country are ordered to acquire the requisite basic qualifications before December 31, 2019
All teachers within the country who lack basic qualifications will be ravaged from the service by December 31, 2019, the minister of education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, has said.
Daily Trust reports that Adamu made the revealing on Monday, November 12, in Benin city at a summit in Edo state themed: Edo of our dream, investing in people.
The minister, who was represented by the executive secretary, Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Hamid Boboyi, said all teachers and their employers had earlier been ordered by the government to acquire the requisite qualifications before December 31, 2019.
“We must stop recruiting unqualified teachers into the system especially when we have many qualified teachers roaming our streets without regular jobs.
“The National Council of Education under my chairmanship has given a clear directive to all our unqualified teachers as well their employers to acquire the requisite qualifications or disengage from teaching on or before December 31, 2019. This remains an irrevocable order of the council,” he said.
Adamu noted that the current administration was committed to funding the education sub-sector through the UBEC or support state governments. He said the Buhari’s government had so far spent over N258.5 billion on basic education in the country.
“Between 2015 and 2018, the federal government has allocated to states the sum of N164billion as matching grants, N34.974billion for teachers’ professional development, N52.461billion for instructional materials and N6.994 billion for special education,” he said.
The minister stated that the government plans to address the case of over 10 million out-of-school children in the primary school system. He called on stakeholders in the education sector to make efforts to reduce the number of out of school children in Nigeria.
“In addressing this, the ministerial strategy plans to curb this is being actively pursued by all agencies of government. The Almajiri integration programme and the basic education for all has been re-tooled to meet the need of stakeholders while the basic education delivery for all supported by World Bank has become effective and taken off in earnest,” the minister said.
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has said that money stolen from Nigeria is stashed in major European cities, the US and other havens around the world.
He made the disclosure on Monday, November 12, during an interactive session with the Nigerian community in France,
The Punch reports. A statement by his special adviser on media and publicity, Femi Adesina, made available to journalists in Abuja, read that Buhari blamed the elites for allegedly looking away while the money which could have been invested in the education sector was stolen.
The president stated that Nigeria’s current education budget which stands at 5% was inadequate and far off the 26% recommended by the United Nations.